Re: [TowerTalk] Stadiums as Tower/Contest Locations

To: W4EF@dellroy.com, adam77@earthlink.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stadiums as Tower/Contest Locations
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 07:22:01 -0700
If Noise from lighting and other souces was not a show stopper, after I
looked  at the whole stadium business via the internet, they seem to still
be quite an interesting option to solve the growing  difficulty in putting
up towers at your home.

Google Stadium, Stadium Design, Comcast-Spectrum, and other stadium related
terms, and you can see what a huge and specialized industry Stadiums are.
21 new ones have been built in the last 10 years in the US.  Relatively few
players are the Design and Construction, and Management  firms for Stadiums.

I wonder if a serious effort was made by the ARRL to approach these
management, and deisgn teams, to promote the goodness of a ham station
tucked away in some utilities room, or otherwise non public facility at a
stadium could bring a working relationship between the ham, and Stadium
communities?
Approach angles could be to provide a free capable Emergency Resource, (EOC
ham staiton) to the community, which may be a good adjunct to the stadium
itself being a gathering place for Emergency managemnt.   Maybe even offer
to provide hams for occasional supplemental communications  within the
stadium as needed, as a means of exchange of value for providing a ham
station - stadium presence.
I still look at that approach as being a mechanism to create great
contesting stations around the country, as more and more modern Stadiums are
built.

There must be a large amount of closed off areas to the public, that are
utility aeas for the stadium that could house the ham faciilities.  Similar
to the often little used Foc'sle area on Navy ships being a location for the
radio clubs/hams of the ship's crew.  I remember at least, the USS Missouri
having a ham/mars station tucked away in it's foc'sle.

Best,  Pat Barthelow, AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com