Re: [TowerTalk] Ask the experts

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ask the experts
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 21:30:13 -0400
Radiation angle comes from ground reflection and it has nothing to do with
the yagi's design.  Testing different yagis at the same height in the same
location is a fair test.

John KK9A

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:11:27 -0500

<snip>

Yeah I don't like the Mosley bashing either. I do have the comparison
reports
for both yagis and verticals. The guys put a lot of time, effort, energy,
and
thought into the field tests and report.

But there has been a lingering question in my mind. If Brand M has maximum
forward radiation at 20 degrees elevation and another antenna radiates all
it's
power at 10 degrees, what is the difference in signal strength several miles
in
front of these yagis when you're receiving at 0 degrees elevation? Is this
comparison really "fair"? I suppose it is if you're looking for the best DX
antenna (lower angle is better). But what if you want better local coverage
like you get from a NVIS radiator?

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN