Re: [TowerTalk] Ask the experts

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ask the experts
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:24:51 -0700
>This "Mosley Bashing" has finally hit my button !!
>I have  a PRO-57A and am very satisfied with it. It
>is my understanding that  subsequent models were
>"improved". I have not seen any published data  from
>verifiable sources except those peddling their
>"comparisons" which  I don't intend to pay for.

And YOU have hit mine!!!

Do you have a clue about how much work it takes to obtain ACCURATE
data on the performance of an antenna?  To measure the gain, you
must build the antenna, get it up in the air on a substantial
tower and rotor in some test range where there is nothing to
seriously distort the data, make sure that it is properly tuned,
drive it with a transmitter, and MEASURE the field strength at
some distance that is representative of its far field pattern. To
measure the pattern, you must repeat those measurements every 5-10
degrees. 4-5 guys could easily work a full day to do that if the
transmitting and receiving towers were already there and nothing
went wrong. It could easily take twice that time if Mr Murphy came
to call.

To measure another antenna, you must take the first one down, put
the new one up, and repeat that process. And, of course, you must
have purchased or borrowed the antenna in the first place. And
even if it was borrowed or donated, you still must spend the time
and money to unpack, handle, repack, and return it.

Those "peddling their comparisons" have HUNDREDS  of man hours and
a significant dollar investment in those measurements, and YOU are
either too stupid or too cheap to contribute to their work. You
clearly don't deserve to benefit from it.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC