[TowerTalk] minimum height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] minimum height
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:27:56 EDT

Rusty,
I think the recommendation from WA5ZUP is the one I would  follow and for the
reason he states, adequate room for the coax to flex and not  caught on
anything.  The 1" spacing although possible seems to me to create  a great
opportunity for the coax to get caught between the boom to mast plate  and the
top
thrust bearing hardware.

Regards,
Norm W4QN

=============================
I haven't seen many recommendations on  this. I've googled and searched
eham.net to no avail.

What is the minimum  height above the tower top shelf recommended for an HF
beam (KT34A, FWIW). I'm  trying to run as short of a mast as possible without
impacting performance of  the  antenna.

Thanks!
Rusty
K0FE

1  inch. As long as no part of the antenna or mount scrapes the tower you are

OK.

Carl
KM1H

>I haven't seen many recommendations  on this. I've googled and searched
>eham.net to no avail.
>
>  What is the minimum height above the tower top shelf recommended for an HF

> beam (KT34A, FWIW). I'm trying to run as short of a mast as possible
> without impacting performance of the antenna.
>
>  Thanks!
> Rusty
> K0FE

Message: 5

Since most  tower manufacturers spec so many sq ft, 1' above the top of the
tower.   Then mounting the antenna 1' above the top would seem reasonable.  The
main  thing is to have enough room for the cable loop, so it does not snag on
 anything.

John
wa5zup