Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Inverted L

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Inverted L
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:43:22 -0700
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:49:11 -0400, jeremy-ca wrote:

>Im a big fan of elevated radials since I live on top of a ridge; granite has
>poor conductivity!  At a prior location with damp but sandy soil a ground
>screen made a huge difference when placed over 60 on ground radials.

It's important to understand that the function of radials is to act as a return
for antenna current and increase the EFFICIENCY. They do NOT lower the angle of
radiation -- that happens with actual EARTH reflections in the far field, and
that is pretty much out of our control -- we're stuck with soil conditions and
the slope of the soil unless we have the financial resources to buy other soil
conditions and slope of the soil. :)

Recent editions (for at least the last ten years or so) of the ARRL Antenna
Book
have an excellent discussion of this. So does W2DU's website. Google to find
it.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC