Re: [TowerTalk] re how tall is that tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re how tall is that tower
From: "Reicher, James" <JReicher@hrblock.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 11:29:14 -0500
At the risk of stirring up the hornets' nest again, I have to respond to
this one.

First of all, it was in the 70's that the US almost went metric, not the
80's.

The metric system IS taught in school, at least the better ones where
evolution happens.  I started to learn about it in elementary school,
about 2nd grade, and that was in the late 60's.  Virtually all science
courses use the metric system as its system of measurement.  Since
science of all types is taught in school, Carl's statement that
"Metrics" (sic) are not taught in school is blatantly false.

The metric system is in use in daily public life.  How many of us
provide public service communications for 10K runs?  That "10K" is 10
kilometers, not 10,000 feet or 10,000 yards.  Sporting events, such as
swim meets, track and field, etc, all measure in meters.  I know, I used
to swim competitively back in the 70s in 50 meter pools, even here in
the Midwest.

With one exception (temperature, at least IMHO), the metric system
generally provides a far more accurate form of measurement than the
English system.  The scientific world has recognized this fact and
adopted the Metric System as its standard.  The rest of the world's
nations have adopted it for public use.  It's just in the US that the
public has jingoistically refused to go along with this most logical
system, probably because it was first developed by the French.

73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO

Light travels faster than sound...  This is why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.