Re: [TowerTalk] AEA LC-1 Isoloop

To: "'Daniel Hileman'" <n9wx_dan@yahoo.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AEA LC-1 Isoloop
From: "Dave Cook" <davepc2@netdave.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:57:22 -0700
I bought one in the late 80's for use in my second-floor condo in LA and it
worked really well. I had terrible RFI, but that was a grounding issue, not
the antenna's fault. I worked a lot of stations with it mounted on a 10 foot
mast attached to my balcony railing and was surprised at how well it worked
for such a small antenna.

When I moved to the Pacific Northwest, I replaced a chimney mounted TV
antenna with it and it only lasted a few years before the weather got inside
and killed the stepper motor. I wish I had mounted it in the attic instead
of outdoors. I still have the thing because the big old tuning capacitor is
still worth a lot. I looked around for replacement stepper motors, but gave
up since I've got plenty of room for conventional antennas now.

I would say that if the stepper motor is still functioning, and it hasn't
been exposed to the weather, it's well worth $80. I wish mine still worked
so I could take it camping and also use it for Field Day. It's not as
efficient as a full-sized antenna, but it sure does a good job for the size.

73, Dave, WA0TTN