Re: [TowerTalk] Ground System

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground System
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:12:55 -0700
Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> Just remember a coax with an insulated jacket is a conductor straight into
> your house while the bare copper is a path to ground that also goes to the
> house.
That would seem to make sense.  It has also been stated on this
reflector before that, even with a well grounded tower, you can still
get large induced voltages on the coax and control lines due to the EMP
of a nearby lightning strike.  So wouldn't a separate bare wire in the
trench also offer some measure of Faraday shielding against the effects
of that EMP, especially if it was placed above the coax ?  I'm pretty
sure the grounded bare wire at the top of power line poles is intended
to perform that function for the AC lines below it.  Or would the bare
wire in the trench not likely be "grounded" enough along its length to
actually act as a shield?

Dave   AB7E