Re: [TowerTalk] ground system

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground system
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:43:13 -0400

> Jim Brown added:
>
>> >ABSOLUTELY!  All grounds must be bonded together for a safe
>> >installation. That means a ROBUST and LOW IMPEDANCE (SHORT) path.
>> >

> Seems to me that a tower located 200' from the house is a different
> animal than one attached to the house.  In the latter case, the answer
> is clear.  But for the distant tower, shouldn't the strategy be to
> dissipate the charge as far from the house as possible?  Single point

I would think so, but I don't want the coax to be the only path to the
house.

> ground isn't possible, at great distances, anyway.
>
> Has anyone else used RF chokes on the cable runs, to limit strike
> currents from flowing on them, allowing the tower's ground system
> to dissipate the charge?

Due to the relatively low frequencies involved., it would take a substantial
choke and I doubt they'd be very effective BUT OTOH every little bit helps.
Enough "little bits" can add up to making a big difference.

73

Roger (K8RI)