Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] [TowerTalk] newest bestest radial materialever!

To: w2lk@earthlink.net, yccc@yccc.org, towertalk@contesting.com,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] [TowerTalk] newest bestest radial materialever!
From: "w1eqo@shaysnet.com" <w1eqo@shaysnet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:46:06 -0400
Not exactly aluminum wire, but...

A while back I had a conversation with Copperweld regarding their
"aluminum-weld wire". It is a steel wire coated with an aluminum jacket.

I was told that it would not last much longer than a "couple of years" in
contact, or buried in the ground. The problem was not the aluminium, but
the dissimilar junction that occurs everywhere the aluminum jacket gets
nicked or broken thru. These will turn to dust in short order.

For raised radials, no problem. Another reason to use raised radials.

On the other hand, there is not a similar problem with copperweld. That
product will last many years in the ground.

Copperweld wire is cheap if ordered from the factory. The downside is the
minimum order size...about 1000 lbs. Then there is trucking, and what to do
with the spool once it arrives.

Jim, W1EQO
w1eqo@shaysnet.com