Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:13:53 -0400
Bill:

     I wound an air core balun for my tribander a few years back.  Mine
ended up as five inches ID with five turns of RG-213.
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2004-07/msg00435.html .

     You can measure the effectiveness of your balun with an MFJ-259
analyzer (possibly with others.)  After it's wound, connect one end of the
balun's shield to the analyzer's ground post, the opposite end OF THE SHIELD
to the center conductor of the analyzer input connector.  Then run the
analyzer through the frequency range of interest and note the impedances at
various points.  I stopped fiddling with balun turns once I reached 250 Ohms
(>5X the nominal coax impedance of 50 Ohms.)  You're measuring the impedance
of a coil made from the outer surface of the coax shield.

     To weatherproof the end of the balun I followed the advice from WB4MDC,
to wit:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2002-10/msg00391.html
.

73 de