[TowerTalk] Climbing a Glen Martin RT1832 roof tower

To: Tower Forum <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing a Glen Martin RT1832 roof tower
From: Jon M Knodel <jknodel@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:04:40 -0700
I am putting together a new Glen Martin RT1832 roof tower (why I selected this
tower is another story all together!).  I am planning on installing my 3
element SteppIR on this tower.  With the antenna, rotor and mast, I am under
the specified max tower load of 110 lbs.

But, I plan on climbing the tower for installation (obviously) and later for
periodic maintenance of the antenna.  I am a pretty big guy and will most
definitely be overloading the tower while climbing it (according to the max
specified load limit of the tower).  The tower is all aluminum construction and
I'm wondering if my weight will damage or weaken the tower in any way or if it
is something I should even worry about.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Jon N7XW