Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Regalvanize

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Regalvanize
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:19:38 -0700
At 04:03 PM 8/27/2007, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> > Tell them there is also an ANSI spec that prohibits voids in the
> > galvanizing for structural members.  Ask them to show you that spec and
> > convince you they complied with it.  The only one I found online costs
> > about $35 but might it be worth buying ...
> >
> > http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=ASTM+A123%2FA123M-02
> >
> > Why anyone would use a grinder to take off spurs is beyond me anyway.
>
>My 45G had so many spurs and sharp edges right from the factory it added new
>meaning to the phrase, "climbing a tower may be hazardous to your health".

So it, obviously, didn't conform to the ASTM spec (which actually
refers to handling safety, among other things in the discussion about
finish quality).  But then, I suspect that Rohn didn't call out
"Shall be hot-dip coated in accordance with ASTM A 123" in their specs either.

>I didn't dare climb without wearing leather gloves.

See.. if you climbed the tower four or five times a day, you'd
develop big tough calluses on your hands, and you'd save all that
money you'd otherwise spend on gloves.  Of course, there just might
be some other side effects..<grin>