Re: [TowerTalk] fold over towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k9kl@centurytel.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] fold over towers
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:37:04 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:53:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I'm trying to decide between a crank-up,fold over or self  suporting
tower.Looking at holding a Becher Skyhawk and Cushcraft XM-240  in the air at
55-75 feet.I have no problem with climbing but its hard for  me to find
someone to assist on the ground.Its hard for me to install  larger antennas
by myself in the air.So need to find a way to be able to  stay close to the
ground,or not have to deal with the "around guy wire"  thing.Crankups scare
me about price and still gotta climb them somewhat to  install antennas on
the tower but no guy wires to mess you up and could  get a manlift.

    To say nothing of the increased  electro-mechanical complexity with
potential reliability problems. Anyone  following the W7ZR thread about his
inability to get his crank-up to retract  can see this. And to say nothing of
the
increased cost.

>  On a side
note,I was supposed to get an 80 foot manlift  but the company backed out of
the deal when they found someone with deeper  pockets then me.I can't find
another company that will commit to a  date,they'll put me on "standby".Which
I figure means the first blizzard  of the winter!!

    Do you have any rental yards in your area? They  are more than happy to
drop one off for you. They're real easy to operate.  Also a crane with a
man-basket works great. A crane can be a little  cheaper in my experience.

>  Fold Overs are kinda neat
because I don't mind climbing  to assemble it but would need some help on the
ground but only once.They  kinda scare me because of the danger of the
leverage of them but if you  know what your doing and don't violate what the
maker says you should be  OK.

    The majority of the ones I've seen over the  years (Rohn ones) have
suffered some damage at some point. They're real  easy to tweak.

>  Not sure of the cost or if they are available
new  anymore.I think you can work on the ground with those which is nice,
very  niceSelf supporters get rid of the guy wires but gotta climb them but I

would think installing antennas would be easy.Just get a pulley on the  mast
and haul it straight up along side the tower,with no guy cables it  should be
kinda easy,no?Again not sure of price but shouldn't be as bad as  a
crankupLooking for ideas or something I missed

    It's true you can pull antennas up the side. You  can take off an element
or two to get enough clearance (a Trylon Titan is 46"  wide at the bottom)
and then put them on once the antenna is on the mast.

Speaking of which my suggestion is a Trylon Titan  self-supporter. They're a
good value, easy to climb and can take a decent  load.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH and
_www.championradio.com_ (http://www.championradio.com)  - Trylon  dealer