Re: [TowerTalk] name that antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] name that antenna
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 10:39:31 -0400
The FAA and other countries aviation agencies still
maintains contact with trans-oceanic flights via HF.

For the transatlantic traffic, it's Gander NF, and
Shannon EI which are the comm centers.  They have similar
lpda's to those found in Nashua NH and Leesburg VA.
I've also heard New York Center on the 8Megs freq, but I
haven't seen that site.

If you go to Antigua, you'll see an array of LPDA's, of a
different design.  They use 3 structural elements, deployed
at 120 degree increments around the central structure.  The
forward one is longer than the two 'back' ones....and the
dipoles are strung between catenary wires which extend between
the three 'booms'.  This structure can be balanced for physical
mass and windload.

I doubt that the FAA used the HF facilities for backhaul
between centers.  The radar info is too intense and too
frequently updated to be supported by available HF bandwidth.
Rather, I believe those sites are legacy/backups for the
HF trans oceanic traffic.

V25EA, N2EA

Jim Jarvis, President
The Morse Group, LLC
732 548 5573 office
www.themorsegroup.net
results@themorsegroup.net

Strategic Planning and Success Strategies
for Sales Professionals and Entrepreneurs.

Sales Excellence Series beginning September 24, 2007