Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning - was Advice

To: ed@edprivette.com, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning - was Advice
From: "Rick Stealey" <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:02:26 +0000

Hi Ed,

You said:
I can't do a "whole house ground" the way my place is laid out. There
are three grounds at the tower, three under my window and four near
the main entry panel.

Are your various grounds tied together? If not, there can still be instantaneous voltage differences between the grounds that can be huge. The telephone line had high voltage on it resulting from the induced current from the strike. It should be grounded at the entrance to the home and that ground should be common with all other grounds (such as the station ground and the tower ground).

I had a direct hit in my front yard 10 years ago, at 3 am. Hit an 80 foot oak tree and eventually killed it. It brought me right up out of my bed about 3 feet. I thought someone had just fired a 12 gauge shotgun right outside my window, honest ! I've been constantly building and improving my ground ever since. Currently have about 20 rods - at the tower, along radials from the tower, at the house entrance, outside shack wall (single point ground for equipment) and all grounds tied together and to the service entrance ground. I have 8 Polyphasors on coax, telephone, rotor control, and tv cable and I need more for the SteppIR controller.

If you will read W8JI's website (w8ji.com) you will get a lot of info. He believes in solid grounds but that lightning arrestors are unnecessary. Interesting reading.

Rick K2XT

Discover sweet stuff waiting for you at the Messenger Cafe.? Claim your treat today! http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline2