Re: [TowerTalk] re; exploding concrete

To: jeremy-ca <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re; exploding concrete
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:16:11 -0700
jeremy-ca wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>

Except that if you calculate the temperature rise in a copper or steel
rod/wire, with the kinds of currents known to exist in a lightning
stroke, it's not all that much.  It just doesn't get that hot.

The only mechanism that could get that sort of heat would be if there's
a gap, and an arc, and you get localized heating.  If it's fast enough,
once the metal is soft, magnetic forces tend to cause it to pinch off,
potentially extending the arc (like with  stick welding). (There's some
very cool demos of this at the Deutsches Museum in Munich where they run
60 kA or so through a bunch of copper cables in parallel.. and it's also
what makes stick welding transfer the metal in little droplets)

So what this means is that the important thing isn't necessarily gaps or
cracks in the concrete, but making sure that all the components in the
the ground system is well connected and doesn't have little gaps or hot
spots.

Oh yeah, and the other thing that could lead to certain destruction
would be if you coil the cable.  Run a current through a coil, and it
tries to expand, and if the current is high enough, the forces will
exceed the tension strength of the wire and it will come apart.  A
transient current in a coil can also cause things in or near the coil to
be squashed and deformed and destroyed. The can crusher and quarter
shrinker are nice, spectacular versions of an industrial process called
magneforming.  It doesn't even take a kiloamp to rip an aluminum can apart.