Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strike - Post-strike analysis

To: WD0M <WD0M@centurytel.net>, SteppIR@yahoogroups.com,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strike - Post-strike analysis
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:04:16 -0500 (CDT)
Joe:

     Sorry to hear of your excitement but glad nothing more serious happened.

     Here in the WDC area, Verizon (formerly Bell Atlantic Tel) has been
shilling their FiOS service - fiber-based phone, internet and TV.  I signed up
for all three earlier this year and can now report that the only conductors
entering my QTH are from the power company (not likely to change to glass in my
lifetime) and the tower coax and control cables.  I have Polyphasers on all
tower cables, but nothing other than dumb luck protecting the power feed.

     I suppose I really ought to totally remove the copper twisted pairs left
over from the telephone service so a neighborhood strike doesn't find its way
into my basement.  Have to look for another round tuit, though.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F