Re: [TowerTalk] beam slippage

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] beam slippage
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:16:01 -0400
Do you know for sure that it is the rotator-to-mast joint that has
slipped?  Seems like the boom to mast connection is a more likely culprit
if your 2M is still pointing in the original direction.  In that case,
tightening the U-bolts a little more may be all that is required.

Realignment at the controller is indeed an option, at least for a quick fix
which won't solve the 2M misalignment.  You can pop off the dial cover on
the controller and simply move the pointer on the shaft to the correct
position.  With 450 degrees rotation the worst this will do to you is to
slightly skew the point at which the overlapping rotation stops.

I have had two Yaesu rotators in service for 12 and 8 years respectively,
with the masts pinned, and have never had a problem, so I would not
hesitate to do that.  If you opt to try retightening the clamps, be sure to
follow the procedure outlined in the manual for your G-1000DXA.

I don't think the Slip-Nott clamp will work on the Yaesu rotator.

There's another trick I'd be tempted to try if mine weren't already pinned,
and that is to put a sheet of dry-wall sanding mesh between the clamp and
the mast.  Others have suggested belting rubber, as used in large motor
driven tools.

73, Pete N4ZR