Re: [TowerTalk] BASE REBAR and Lightning

To: kr7x@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BASE REBAR and Lightning
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:22:14 -0700

> The "Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete" ACI-318-05 section
> 7.7.1 - Cast-in-place concrete (nonprestressed)
>
> states "The following minimum concrete cover shall be provided for
> reinforcement...
>
> (a) Concrete cast against and permanently exposed to earth          3 in.
> (b) Concrete exposed to earth or weather:
>
>             No. 6 through No. 18 Bars
>      2 in.
>             No. 5 bar, W31 or D31 Wire, and smaller
> 1-1/2 in.
>
>  .... continues .....
>
> This code is used by all building codes in the US, the CBC (California
> Building Code) and the IBC.
>
> The emphasis is .... the minimum cover shall be.....
>
> The cover requirement is to prevent corrosion and subsequent spalling and
> failure due to constant exposure to moisture through the microcracks that
> occure in all concrete. This is a servicablility requirement not a stress
> design requirement. It becomes a design requirement by providing for
> durablility.
>
> Regards
> Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.
> Hank Lonberg, P.E.,S.E.
> President

Out of curiosity.. the cover requirement is on the reinforcing.  But, is
the embedded tower section reinforcing, or something else.

   I'm thinking that there are lots of cases where something other than
reinforcing protrudes within the soil/concrete area: plumbing
penetrating the slab in a house, underground utility conduits coming up
inside the footing, etc.  None of these are structural, though.  The
tower section could be (or, maybe, it's only quasi structural...)