Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259's

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259's
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:45:50 +0100
  wrote:

>In a message dated 10/10/2007 11:02:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>k3lr@k3lr.com writes:
>
>>  About once a week I get asked for this link where I show how  I solder
>PL-259's WITHOUT dielectric damage. Here it is again with  pictures:
>

>I know, I know - I've  even started doing it myself. But I thought the easily
>solderable  connectors were an interesting approach.

My preference is for the ones with a pressure sleeve clamp and a 'top
hat' ferrule that simply lushes in to contact the braid. That pattern
requires no heavy soldering, and no stripping or trimming of the braid -
just one flush cut, right through the jacket, braid and inner
insulation.

However, all types of PL259 require about 1.5in of thick insulation to
be stripped from the center conductor of RG213. What's the best
technique for doing that? (Preferably one that avoids having to strip
the center conductor a second time, because you pulled out another
half-inch from inside the jacket.)

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek