[TowerTalk] crimp on pl259s

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] crimp on pl259s
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 04:43:29 -0700 (PDT)
Steve does a nice job... For HF I do not bother with soldering the center
pin...  I simply crimp it...  Maybe for VHF I might think about soldering
(probably not, being essentially lazy)..  You have to think about the fact that
milspec and aerospace call for crimped connections on coax cables...

  The Cablematic is a nice stripper, but there is more to it than that.  Any
stripper has to be adjusted to the exact cable you are using...  My most recent
drum of RG213, same brand from same supplier, is definitely larger both on the
center conductor and on the jacket OD than previous batches...  Probably a new
crew on the machines at the factory... Rather than fiddle with adjusting the
stripper, I simply flipped out the razor knife and did them by hand.. Probably
added all of a minute to each one...

denny / k8do