Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed vs. free-standing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed vs. free-standing
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:19:14 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/2007 8:15:50 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I see where KA9FOX put up a self supporting 72' Trylon at  his old qth and
at his new qth, he put up a 95' Rohn 55G.  I know at his  old qth, he didn't
have the space for the 55G.  Other than the additional  feet between the two,
what are the advantages of the guyed Rohn tower over the  self-supporting?

    Scott has a rotating tower. You can  mount beams anywhere on the tower
and they'll all turn together. If it  was a standard fixed 55G you could still
have side-mounted antennas using  swinging gate side-mounts or TIC rotators.
The additional face width of the  self-supporting tower makes this kind of
difficult.

    Another difference is the load at height. If you  wanted to go higher
with the self-supporter, the tower capacity goes down  fairly quickly; not so
fast with the guyed tower since it uses the guy wires  as part of the
supporting
structure. Guyed towers are typically cheaper  because of that. The cost of a
tower is the cost of the steel in it.  Self-supporting towers generally have
much more steel in them for the height  than a guyed tower so they're more
expensive.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH and