Re: [TowerTalk] Possible bad news for BPL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Possible bad news for BPL
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@themorsegroup.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:39:15 -0400
TT:

Given the propagation characteristics of 2.4GHz, and safety issues
surrounding flux density, (signal strength)  I expect we will see a mixed
bag with WiMax, rather than a clean home run.

Intel's commitment to it is significant.  If anyone can make a go of it,
it's them.  But they can't change the laws of physics.  Greenleaf
absorption, multipath phase anomalies, signal peaks and valleys, are all
going to happen.  We see it now with 802.11, just within our homes.  You
think it'll be better when we try to cover a wider area?

I don't think so.

Been reviewing DOJ grant proposals for public safety networks for the last 5
years, or so.  Practitioners are using mesh networks at those frequencies,
and experimenting with WiFi & WiMax, with what can only be described as
mixed results.  The best we've seen is a scenario where a patrol vehicle
drives up to a hot-spot, takes a sip of data, and drops off reports, then
resumes patrol.  It's not seamless, and the industry is still struggling.

BPL isn't going away based on competing, evolving technology.  It ought to
go away based on existing infrastructure from cable, satellite, and FiOS.
Profit seeking advocates nothwithstanding, BPL is a dumb idea.

Some of those tend to linger long after their funeral should have been held.
No cause for joy in the Intel announcement, I'm afraid.  (IMHO)

N2EA
Jim Jarvis, President
The Morse Group, LLC
732 548 5573 office