Re: [TowerTalk] High voltage transmission lines

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High voltage transmission lines
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:27:44 -0400
> In my own case, the utility company was willing to satisfy my concerns
> during scheduled preventive-maintenance or system upgrade periods.  It can
> take as long as a year for them to try and accommodate you and you better
> hope that the resolution is right the first time.  Moreover, do not expect
> them to comply with an order from Hollingsworth.  The utilities will act
> on
> a court order and not an impotent demand from the FCC.

The FCC has the authority and ability to levey very large fines and have
done so in cases where their demands were disregarded. I believe the most
recent was down in Texas.

> If you're serious about low-band operating, I would urge you to stay clear

I would have the same inclination

> of any EHV transmission line by a distance of at least five miles when

I've lived about a half mile from one of these lines for over 23 years. I've
never heard it on 160 through 440 which I can't say about the medium voltage
lines around here. Those have had a number of occasions where they were
relaly bad, but electric fences have been worse.  The worst has been an
intermittent broad band noise that starts (usually) just above 20 meters and
extends above 6-meters. It's to the SE and may come on abruptly and rise to
well over S-9, but usually fades away slowly after an hour or so. OTOH it's
sometimes on for hours.  However, every time we've gone hunting for it the
thing disappears.

73

Roger (K8RI)