[TowerTalk] THHN wire problem

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] THHN wire problem
From: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:02:01
All,
Thought I would jump in and tell you my tale of woe about using THHN
insulated wire.
I bought a 1000 ft roll of  #12 copper from Home Depot to make some 160
meter radials. After about 2 years, the insulation had turned hard and was
cracking. When I peeled back some of the insulation from one of the wire
ends, the wire had a greenish sticky substance all over it. I asked N7IR
who is fairly knowledgable in chemistry and he said the insulation
outgasses a substance that attacks the copper. Wish I could remember
exactly what he said it was.
With that info, I immediately took down all the radials and stripped off
all the insulation. They were a real mess. The wire cleaned up nicely using
a soapy type of brillo pad and a garden hose.
Out here in AZ practically nothing lasts in the heat and ultra violet we
have. I was happy to catch the problem before it got worse. Of course, YMMV.
73 N7RT