[TowerTalk] Roswell Tower Accident

To: towertalk@contesting.com (TowerTalk)
Subject: [TowerTalk] Roswell Tower Accident
From: n7ka@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 04:08:48 +0000
I would like to explain the circumstances of this accident as I have been
informed from a person at the scene of the accident.  My purpose is to PROMOTE
safety for each of us WHENEVER we climb any antenna structure.

First, I met Greg, N5CLM, in Roswell on Oct 5/6 weekend.  I took an immediate
liking to him.  This was a ham I wanted to know and work with in the future.
He loved CW, was a beginning DXer, and possible contester.  He had just
recently installed a 120ft tower and was awaiting his 3el STEP-IR antenna.

Greg's death was not due to a tower or antenna structure failure of any kind.

The day of the accident the weather was in the low 90F range, with no winds.

Greg was descending a tower and was attempting to pass guys wires at the 90
foot level.  It is unknown what actually happened at the moment, but he did NOT
have a safety line attached to the tower when he removed his belt from around
the tower to pass the 90 foot level guys.  Greg was wearng his own new
full-body safety harness at the time.

After the fall and the sheriff had arrived on scene, Greg's safety line was
found in his vehicle.

This was a very unfortunate accident.  The hobby lost a very good guy.

This post is being sent to state the ABSOLUTE requirement that when we climb a
tower WE MUST TAKE SAFETY AS OUR #1 CONCERN.   AT NO TIME SHOULD WE NOT BE
ATTACHED SECURELY TO THE TOWER.  Before you put one foot on the tower make sure
you are attached to the tower with a known GOOD safety line.  AND keep yourself
attached to the tower at all times during the climb, both up and down.

I request that you not ask any additional details of me. It was a VERY
unfortunate accident and I want this to be an educational reminder to all who
climb towers. I lost a NEW friend, many others lost a friend of many years.

SAFETY IS ALWAYS THE #1 CONCERN.

Greg's funeral was held today 23 October, 2007 in Roswell, NM.

Arne N7KA