[TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Dilemma...Help me decide!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Dilemma...Help me decide!
From: Edward Sylvester <navydude1962@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:42:52 -0700 (PDT)
I live at a secondary QTH during the week and was given permission to put up
wire antennas.  I was thrilled because there's some really tall trees here
(>100').  I picked the nearest, tallest tree, hired a local tree climber and
installed a Cobra Ultralite Senior (linear loaded multiband antenna, 140' long,
fed with ladder line).  Works like a champ and even loads on 160m, all through
the rig's internal antenna tuner.

  I mounted the dipole as a sloper because mounting it as an Inv Vee would have
put the feedline too far away.  The one end is at 100' and the other, at 15'.
The feedline is at about 50'.  I'm getting great signal reports!

  The next tree of similar height is about 250' away.  I figured the sloper
would be closer to my shack, with minimal visual impact, so I decided to use
the one tree only. Now, I want to use that second tree 250' away!  Question is,
should I string rope to that tree, suspending that other dipole leg to the
75-100' level vs. the 15' that it's currently at?  Or should I maintain the
status quo with the dipole and maybe throw up a longwire, as a second antenna?

  The LW would be about 300' total, including the vertical element, though I
don't want to cause interference.  Your input is greatly appreciated.

  73,
  Ed NI6S

http://mail.yahoo.com