[TowerTalk] CFL lifespan

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CFL lifespan
From: Jim Hoge <knowkode@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:38:39 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings,

  I cannot attest to the modern cfl lifespan but I have a pair of Philips SL
18/27 still in use. I won these at a parade of homes 20 years ago. I would
agree that the color has warmed over the years but that isn't backed by
testing, just my two cents. These bulbs take a bit to come to full output, just
as they did when first put into service. One final note, I have read that
flouresent bulbs have a large energy surge at onset, similar to that of a motor
so use in a circuit that is frequently cycled on and off won't see much energy
savings and will shorten the life of the bulb. BTW, my bulbs are in a utility
room above the washer and dryer.

  73, Jim W5QM