Re: [TowerTalk] CF Bulbs Noise reduction

To: Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>,"TOWERTALK@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CF Bulbs Noise reduction
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:51:21 -0700
I had a CF bulb "let the smoke out" of its base, recently, cracked the base
open, and was amazed at the quantity of discrete components that were inside,
considering the selling price of the product.

There used to be advertized a nicely packaged diode that you just dropped in
the light socket, to half wave rectify the AC, supposedly lowering your power
bill.  Could you build an RFI filter in such a wafer...looked to be the size of
a nickel, about 4 mm thick, and you simply screwed down the bulb onto it, after
dropping it in the socket.  Also, can the RFI be coming through the (appears to
be) plastic base housing the electronics?  If so, could you make some sort of
clip on, conforming metal film shield around the base, and ground it, reducing
the noise emitted?

All the Best, 73,
Pat Barthelow     aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Subscribe: http://bambi.net/jamesburg.html
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team