Re: [TowerTalk] Takeoff Angles and Non-Reciprocal Propagation

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Takeoff Angles and Non-Reciprocal Propagation
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:15:57 -0800
Reciprocity does not mean the takeoff angle of the transmitting
station is the same as the takeoff angle of the receiving station.
It simply means the path loss is the same in either direction.
Suppose there is an asymmetrical hill with station A on the west side
and station B on the east side.  It is not a violation of reciprocity
to say that if station A works DX stations via skywave to the east,
he will experience different propagation than if station B works DX
stations via skywave to the west.  For the purposes of this discussion,
assume that the DX stations are all at sea level on flat terrain,
and that propagation effects of the ionosphere are uniform in all
directions.  What reciprocity says is that if A transmits to B, the
path loss will be the same as if B transmits to A.  Now if there are
noisy power lines running along the west side of the hill, it is
possible that A will report that he can't hear B, but B will report that
he can copy A, even if A and B have identical stations.  This apparent
"one way propagation" is not a failure of reciprocity.

There is an analogy to circuit theory.  It is very common for a 2
port network to be reciprocal but asymmetrical.  Therefore, the
input impedance at the two ports will differ, ie s11 does not
equal s22, but the transmission loss is the same in both
directions, ie s12=s21.

Rick N6RK

>>> http://www.mediamax.com/ab7e/Hosted/round_symmetric.PRO
>>> http://www.mediamax.com/ab7e/Hosted/sharp_symmetric.PRO