Re: [TowerTalk] Takeoff Angles and Non-Reciprocal Propagation

To: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Takeoff Angles and Non-Reciprocal Propagation
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 11:45:30 -0700
More excellent comments.

Yes, I've been thinking about all of this in terms of wave theory, which
I'm pretty sure is valid for HF ;)

But just to clarify, I'm not trying to justify or promote HFTA.  It just
happens to be the only piece of software I have that models complex
interactions of reflected and diffracted waves.  How well it does that I
can't comment on, but I did find it interesting (and hopefully valid)
that it showed different degrees for diffraction for different shapes of
terrain features at the same height and distance.

My basic hypothesis is still the same, though, at least until someone
can help me wrap by mind around an explanation of my error, that an HF
signal (a wave of energy) could react differently to an asymmetric
terrain feature when traveling from opposite directions along the exact
same path as long as the asymmetry was significant relative to a wavelength.

73,
Dave   AB7E