Re: [TowerTalk] Carbon Fiber Tubing

To: "'Roger (K8RI)'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carbon Fiber Tubing
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:40:20 -0500
These carbon fiber "booms" already exist.

We routinely use carbon fiber masts for "A" class and other varieties of
racing catamarans and even larger round (slow) bottomed sailboats.  The
catamaran varieties range up to more than 30' in length and already have an
aerodynamic shape.  Many are of the "wing" design.

Hall Spars and masts makes very good masts,
http://www.hallspars.com/News/index.htm.  See also
http://www.carbon-tube.com/index.php  for tubing both round and square.  You
can also pick up windsurfer masts which would be ideal for building low
weight yagis because they have a tapered design and come in various lengths.
I picked up a broken one at my windsurfing store and use it to support the
center of my OCF 80M.  I have it mounted on the top of a section of Rohn
push-up mast.

I switched back to a wing aluminum mast on my catamaran because $2K to
replace a broken mast was a bit much.  And, yes, we break them in violent
capsizes in the surf.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
3:47 PM