Re: [TowerTalk] Unguyed, with house bracket?..warning

To: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Unguyed, with house bracket?..warning
From: "Robert G. Strickland" <rcrgs@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 02:55:31 +0000
I used two 1in by 6ft threaded steel rods and ran them through about four
rafters, bolting on both sides at each rafter - a chore. On the outside, I
bolted a three inch steel 'L' that is about 1/4in thick and about two feet
long. I ran this through the Rohn 25 and used four stainless U-bolts to
connect tower to steel - and thus to the two steel rods. This installation
is at the 30ft peak of my two story wood frame house - circa 1930. The
tower goes up another 30ft to 60ft total. I used phillistran to guy it at
50ft. It has been in place 15 years without incident. I climb it regularly
to play around with wire antennas beneath the tribander on top. The whole
installation is very stable. IMHO, anything less than something of this
sort is not really "bracketed to the house." While not a real testing
method, one should be able to climb to the top of any tower without any
noticeable sway/motion; one should feel as if attached to something
completely solid. The fact that it is a tower - of any sort - should be
completely incidental in the mind of the climber/owner.

... robert

Robert G. Strickland PhD ABPH - KE2WY
rcrgs@verizon.net.usa

Syracuse, New York  USA