Re: [TowerTalk] DIN Connectors You Can't Solder To

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DIN Connectors You Can't Solder To
From: John Becker <johnb3030@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:48:59 -0600
I've been following this thread with interest since I need to buy an 8
pin DIN connector myself for the band data connector of my FT-1000.

I notice in Jameco's catalog that they now have many products available
in both conventional and "RoHS compliant" versions, and this includes
DIN connectors. I will certainly NOT be ordering an RoHS compliant DIN
connector.

It seems obvious that the design of the DIN plugs is such that they are
surely intended to be hand soldered. That raises the question of what
the manufacturers of the RoHS compliant version are doing to ensure that
this is possible. There must be a type of wire solder and flux that is
RoHS compliant. Otherwise why make an RoHS compliant connector which
requires hand soldering? What solder and flux should be used?

I'm also wondering in the case of the original poster, who received
unsolderable connectors with some ICE filters, if it is possible that
ICE obtained their connectors from the least expensive source possible,
and if that source was possibly some off-brand third world vendor who
wasn't terribly interested in quality control. Is this an isolated
problem or one which many have experienced?

Does anyone know who actually makes DIN connectors?

73,

John, K9MM