[TowerTalk] Ground radial question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground radial question
From: "Its from Onion" <aredandgold@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:44:47 -0600
A general question guys, I realize its not 'tower' talk but its been a tad slow
so I thought I'd ask.  I been a ham for 13 years, but mostly VHF/UHF.
So I'm not really a green bean.  But new to HF.

My HF antenna is 136 feet of #6 stranded copper, ran from 3 trees at a
height of 50 feet (west) then 45 feet (feed point of 450 ohm ladder 100 foot
long)
to the east side that is 60 feet up.  Land slopes as wire is mostly level.

Ground is 8 feet of #6 (I had a roll) to a 8 foot rod.  Shack is Icom 718,
MFJ-949.

My question, would it help if I ran some radials off of the ground point at the
rod?

The system is a little noisy and I heard a ham say once that removing the
ground from the radio helped him, but mmmm?????  don't know about that.

Get good reports as I have worked AZ, WI, NY, FL on nets, but as we all know,

CAN IT BE BETTER?

Thanks guys and happy holidays
73
Lee