Re: [TowerTalk] Portable Mast Guy Rings?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Portable Mast Guy Rings?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 01:18:00 -0500

> Hi, Guys...
>
> Sorry if this is a stretch of the topic, but, it is an antenna support,
> so,
> with apologies, here goes:
>
>    I now have 3 of the surplus military masts - tubular, aluminum or
> fiberglas sections that stack and were intended for use as supports for
> mil
> portable antenna systems.  None of the three units I have came with any
> guy
> rings.  Yep, I know that there are vendors that sell guy rings.
> www.tmastco.com is one such vendor.  He wants $7.50 a pop for his guy
> rings.
> If I can't find a local vendor, I suppose I'll cough up the $$ for the
> tmastco parts, but I think they can be had for less - the operative word
> in
> that sentence being 'think.'

It depends on how fancy a guy ring you want. Do you just want to guy the
mast with a floating ring that will allow some rotation, or a ring designed
to let the mast rotate under load.

They simple ones are...well... simple to make. Just a piece of flat steel or
aluminum plate and a short piece of pipe that will just slip over the mast
at the diameter where the ring will set. The pipe can be drilled and tapped
for set screws if necessary. Old bearing flanges should also work.

Take some time to wander around a junk yard. Tell them the shape of what you
want and they may know of something close that will work for pennies.

Most of the ones I've seen that were designed as guy rings are nothing more
than thin stamped sheet metal with the edge rolled for strength.  Still they
sold for similar prices to that listed above.

73

Roger (K8RI)