[TowerTalk] Tower webcam

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower webcam
From: "Scott Honaker" <scotthon@pilchuckvet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:01:42 -0800
I plan to do exactly this on my new tower.  I shopped for cameras for quite
a while and ended up buying the Toshiba IK-WB15A (and older IK-WB11A - no
optical zoom or PoE) for another installation I had.  You can find specs on
Toshiba's website at
http://www.toshibasecurity.com/products/prod_camera_detail_ikwb15a.jsp.

It has 4 times the resolution of the best NTSC video camera and amazing
night vision (better than me) even when it looks into a light source.  The
webcam below has a good image and the Toshiba is similar.  It's hard for me
to gauge because most of mine are looking into buildings and I have one
looking across a parking lot - not nearly the detailed scenery of the camera
below.  I am amazed at how well I can read things through the camera.

The camera has a web interface to configure everything and can dump images
to an internal card or FTP server.  With the Power over Ethernet, you only
need to run a (shielded) CAT5 cable up the tower.  Since you can steer the
camera over a broad range, you won't have to rotate the antennas to look a
different direction (unless you want 360 degrees).

I can send sample day/night images if you're interested.  They won't be as
beautiful as the snow-covered Portland harbor :-).

Scott N7SS