Re: [TowerTalk] Optimum yagi stacking distance

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Optimum yagi stacking distance
From: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 08:55:42 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for all the good input.

I found a lot of info in the antenna book last nite as
well, I should have done some reading in their first.

I'm assuming that, in HFTA, I'd better not trust too
much any data it gives me back when I'm stacking the
antennas at less then 1/2 Wavelength.  Based on that
and restrictions on where I can place antennas on a
crankup tower I'm leaning toward a stack at 72' and
36'.

Oddly, at my qth, it looks like overall performance
for a single yagi at 72' is not much better then for a
single yagi at 55'.  But, my stacking choices with a
55' crankup tower are at 55' and 36' or 55' and 18'.
While the 55/36 models as well in hfta as a 72/36 it
doesn't sound like I can really trust the results with
that spacing.  And... the 55/18 leave the bottom yagi
too close to ground.  So... I think I'm best going
with the more trusted 'higher is better' rule.

Now on to figuring out the best 10 thru 40 yagi
choice!

THanks for all the help,
Gary

Gary Slagel/N0SXX