Re: [TowerTalk] Plumbing a tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com, n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Plumbing a tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:28:02 EST

In a message dated 1/22/2008 6:56:43 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  When I put up my 97-foot Rohn 25 tower on a pier pin base  (my first and
only experience of this kind), the experienced tower  builders who were
helping me said absolutely nothing about plumbing the  tower with any kind
of instrument.  When it was up and all three guy  sets were installed, one
guy stood at the base looking up the tower while  3 others adjusted the
turnbuckles at the guy anchors to get it  approximately straight and
vertical.  Once it looked OK, each one  tightened his turnbuckle by the same
number of turns until the guy tension  (measured with a Loos Gauge) was
correct.

>  I am wondering how  important all this emphasis on precision really is?

    Well, the vertical tolerance spec per the  TIA-222 is 3" per hundred
feet. Some people are just more particular than  others.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH