Re: [TowerTalk] cleaning aluminum beam elements

To: <N7KA@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cleaning aluminum beam elements
From: "Dave Harmon" <k6xyz@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:37:43 -0600
I did the same thing as Arne to a KLM 5 element Big Stik and a KT34-XA.
In addition because at the time I lived close to the beach, I used Rustolium
acid etch, then their primer, then their flat black. Don't eliminate the
etch.....that really works well and allows the paint to get a good chemical
grip on the aluminum to avoid flaking. In later years....about 20 years into
their use, I noticed some fading of the black paint and could begin to see
the primer color in some places but it didn't flake off.
When I took it all down 27 years later, I was amazed that there was
virtually no corrosion on any of the elements. If course all the steel parts
were badly rusted.
If you do this, use the scotch brite first, then assemble the elements only,
then spray paint.
I painted the boom too.
Mask off any conductive element joiners etc.
The antennas worked as advertised with no adjustments when assembled to the
manual measurements. Man, that Big Stik owns 20mtrs!
I have a small compressor and trim gun that worked good or you can use their
spray cans.
They have a lot of colors that will work and perhaps a clear but the zinc
chromate color of the primer will show through....anyway, it worked well and
I still have all those dissembled antennas in the shop right now.

Regards

Dave Harmon
K6XYZ[at]sbcglobal[dot]net
Sperry, Ok.