Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: VP6DX Very Loud

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: VP6DX Very Loud
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:48:09 -0600
Ed Gray W0SD wrote:

>VP6DX was unbelievably loud here this morning. ............
>

>So some of you that know a lot more about the top band than I do why are
>they so loud?
>
>Ed W0SD

If you want to know why they are so loud, take a look at their website
for a list of the equipment they are using.  Also look at the site map.
There is info on that map which they have not talked about.  Notice the
spacing between the two 160 meters verticals.  They haven't said, but
with that spacing they have to be phasing them.  Then there is the salt
water. Two phased verticals over salt water on 160 should produce about
8 or 9 dBi gain at a launch angle of about 7 degrees.  Even at an
elevation angle of 1 degree they should have about 8 dBi gain.  No
landlubber is even going to come close to that.

Jerry, K4SAV