Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45/55/65 vs. AB-105 or Stainless 25?

To: "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45/55/65 vs. AB-105 or Stainless 25?
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:22:43 +0000
> It was a used tower (as most are) so the only problem was the usual
> non-fitting part of one section into another.  Roy (NG5X - to whom I owe a
> debt of gratitude for getting this thing going and doing the climbing
> work)
> used a hammer and come-along to get the sections to fit - weird but - "any
> port in a storm"

argh... with ANY rohn type tower, new or used, where tubes fit into tubes
you should always pre-fit on the ground first.  This saves so many problems
and time up the tower.  What I usually do is lay out the sections in a line
in the order they will go up then fit each one into the next one.  a hammer
is a bad idea for lining up legs since it can damage the galvanizing, I use
a pipe that fits over the leg that may be out of line, or a bar inside
depending on what is at hand.  When one leg it out of alignment you can also
fit just that leg together and use the tower section as a lever to bend it
back to the right place, that avoids any problems with flattening the ends
of legs.  When doing this be sure to mark one leg so you know how they were
fit together, its easiest if that is the same leg that the gin pole it tied
to.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net