Re: [TowerTalk] ANTENNA HEIGHT

To: <k2drn.cw@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ANTENNA HEIGHT
From: "Frederick M. Mott" <ab8ah@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 00:27:03 -0500
I have had experience with operating an Army MARS station, AB8AH, at a
location with only a banana tree and a few French buildings near our towers.
Our station was always the first station in our net to hear and work the
state side stations and was the last station to work the stateside stations
when the band went dead. We were able to run about 1200 to 1400 phone
patches a month.  We had a sister station of the Big Red One located at La
Kai, AB8AAB, which was located in a location with rubber trees all around
them.  That station was barely able to make contact with the states with the
same Collins Equipment that we had.  Their antenna was below the tree tops.
I had visited them for 1 week and I knew what their problem was.

If I were you, I would clear a perimeter where your tower will be and make
the perimeter large enough if any of those trees were to fall that you won't
sustain any tower or guy wire damage.  I would think that you will be able
to have a good time working dx.  I would recommend the SteppIR antenna, I
have the 4 element version and I love it.

Fred, AB8AH (vanity call sign)