Re: [TowerTalk] Full body harness

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k8fc@k8fc.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Full body harness
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 12:39:24 EDT

In a message dated 4/3/2008 9:03:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am looking for recommendations for climbing harnesses with  fall arrest.
 I have been climbing for years with good belts but that is  all they are,
belts.  I have decided not to climb again until I have the  proper harness and
fall arrest equipment.

>  The conversation  on this reflector has pointed me in the proper safe
direction and now I am  looking for personal experiences with the full body
harness and fall  arrest.  Things like fit, adjustability and weight I would
think
would be  key elements of the harness (the safety features should be assumed)
and ease  of use.

    First of all, all fall arrest harnesses meet OSHA  requirements so it
doesn't matter which brand you buy.

    You can spend from less than $100 up to  a couple of hundred. If you're
just going to use it occasionally, maybe one of  the less expensive ones will
suffice. The more expensive ones are generally  more comfortable - that's
basically what you're paying for - and more  features. If you're spending 8
hours a
day in it, it better be comfortable.

Champion Radio Products _www.championradio.com_
(http://www.championradio.com)  has the more  budget type which I use myself.

    You'll need a fall arrest lanyard that attaches  to the D-ring between
your shoulder blades and a positioning lanyard or two to  hold you in working
position. These are more personal choice.

    But I don't know how people can climb and work on  towers without a tool
bag or two on their belt. I climb with 2 - one for parts  and one for tools.
Champion has them under Rigging Gear.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
Champion Radio Products