Re: [TowerTalk] Full body harness

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <k8fc@k8fc.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Full body harness
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 18:55:01 -0400
I second Steve's motion: I use two of his tool bags, one on each hip. Also
use the large and small canvas buckets from Champion for hauling tools and
equipment up the tower. Sometimes I clip the small bucket to my belt when
carrying something relatively light that's too large for the tool bags. I
have an adjustable nylon lanyard from Champion, but don't know if Steve
sells that one anymore. I think some people use a rope decender with a
fixed-length rope lanyard for that purpose.

I like Petzl harnesses. Very light and comfortable, though a bit pricey. I
also like their rescue helmets. I wouldn't do tower work without a helment
-- I've bumped my head into metal things, or had them bump into my head,
many times.

Also essential to have a rugged but comfortable pair of steel-shank boots.
Your feet can really start to ache from standing on tower rungs for long
period of time if your boots aren't stiff enough. A good pair of
snug-fitting gloves is essential, too. You should be able to do just about
any task without removing the gloves (well, maybe execept handling small
screws and nuts.)

Unless it's absolutely deathly hot, I wear a comfortable long-sleeve shirt.
Less wear and tear on the skin when hugging the tower. I always wear jeans
(not too tight.) Never wear shorts.

I carry either a cell phone or miniature 2m rig whenever I climb.

One other essential piece of gear:sunblock. Use plenty on your face and
neck.

73, Dick WC1M