Re: [TowerTalk] Any BN-86 Balun Replacement Suggestions?

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any BN-86 Balun Replacement Suggestions?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 19:50:44 -0400
> Since you've apparently taken one apart and looked at it, it appears
> that the manual speaks with forked tongue. :)

Yes, I've autopsied a few blown BN-86 baluns in the last 30 years <G>.

> Interesting. The "instruction manual" describes it as a "current
> balun." See link below.

Notice the "Current Balun" in the upper right is a different type face
than the rest of the manual.  I think someone is playing marketing
games (unless they removed the third winding in the last few years.

The better balun is the BN-4000 which is a "W2DU type" device.  I have
not know one of them to fail but I haven't seen any test data on it
either.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV