Re: [TowerTalk] Any BN-86 Balun Replacement Suggestions?

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any BN-86 Balun Replacement Suggestions?
From: Michael Germino <ad6aa@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:47:23 -0700 (PDT)

Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

When I've attempted to stress a choke by putting it at a very high
voltage point and shove a lot of power to it, it will typically fail
by melting the coax. If the heat source (the transmitter power) is
removed soon enough, the melting may not do permanent damage.

73,

Jim K9YC

  Jim,

  I just re-visited your Tutorial site and I was wondering what form, the
failure of the choke would take.  Can the Ferrite core get damaged with the
heat?

  http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

  Great information on your site and I see you just updated it, again.

  Mike
  AD6AA