Re: [TowerTalk] ARRL liability insurance (tower project)

To: <wmunro@lava.net>, <w4lde@cfl.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ARRL liability insurance (tower project)
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 06:49:57 -0700

When I looked over the many pages of our Club's ARRL Liability insurance
policy, I was amazed at the voluime of legalese  that was written that to my
untrained mind, seemed designed to provide "outs" to the insurance company
having to pay for various contingencies.   There are a lot of terms and
conditions, that if not complied with, release the insurance company from
financial liability.
One thing that I learned, was quite profound, and to me, non obvious, with
light reading of the policy.  It is well known to anyone in the insurance
business, and is usually part of any organizational liability insurance policy.
  That is, the insurance policy only can be brought to bear for claims
originating from parties OUTSIDE of the club membership.  That means,  in many
(most)  of the "bad"  scenarios  you might  envision could happen at your next
club antenna party are NOT covered.
I am not an expert in insurance matters, but it appears that:

Look at these scenarios:
Situation:  Club antenna Party, Volunteers, all club members at your club
station:

1.  Club climber drops wrench, Antenna, nuts, bolts, etc, hit club member on
ground, serious injuries:
NOT COVERED    Hits visiting passer-by watching the work... May be covered; IF
all rules, regs were complied with, and safety briefings, hard hats, etc were
used.

2.
A: Club member/climber drops antenna across power lines, electocutes club
ground crew member, whose heirs sue club.   NOT COVERED

 B: Elecrocutes 3 party near scene.... Hmmmm maybe.... Did the proximity to the
power line break any laws/rules/regulations/reasonable diligence to safety?

3. Club antenna falls, hits club member's car, and causes auto accident by
passers by.
Pasers-by sue; Club is probably  covered,  Club member's car damages. Sues
Club; Not covered

4. Club antenna tower falls, crosses over property line, damages Neighbor's
roof.
Hmmm... Maybe covered.....Permits in order?  Engineers Stamps in order?
Setbacks complied with?
Soil testing results available?

5. Club antenna falls in the night, hits power lines, fries the club station
equipment, completely
NOT COVERED    Fries a non club member's loaned rig... May Be covered.

So.... be careful out there...

All this being said, I think you will find that the ARRL Club Liability policy
is by far, the best value for the money.

All the best,
Pat Barthelow    (916) 315-9271
aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org