Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Coax on a Crank Up Tower

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Coax on a Crank Up Tower
From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:08:18 -0400
On 04/09/08 01:24 pm Marinus Willemstijn wrote:

> Since I started erecting my tower I have requested advice from this group
> and received excellent guidance. Now the tower is up and I need advice on
> how to rout the coax on a crack Up Tower. When lowering the tower what is
> the neatest and safest way to route the coax so that when extending the
> tower the coax will easily "unwind" again. I am hoping for some good ideas
> as I could not come up with a single one - hi!

I have a 55ft US Tower with the coax support arms. I know some people
anchor the coax at each support arm, but then the coax forms loops with
a small radius, probably smaller than is good for it.

I chose to hang all the cables (Davis BuryFlex coax, rotator cables,
SteppIR control cables, and #8 AWG insulated stranded copper to serve as
continuous grounding conductor and support for the other cables, which
are taped to it every few feet) from the top support arm, using Kellem
grips.

When the tower is extended, the cable bundle forms a small enough loop
at the bottom that it does not touch the ground. When the tower is
retracted, the cables coil into a heavy-duty garbage bin (20-25 gall?? I
don't recall) with a slit in the lid and drain holes in the bottom. I
have to guide the cables into the bin.

73

Alan NV8A